Can you believe it’s March already? I sure can, because next month I will be a year older and I don’t know how I feel about that.
And today (or it was yesterday, not really sure) is my 3rd vegan anniversary.
I wasn’t always so loving and kind to my body and mind. I was pretty harsh if I tell you the truth, and I wish I would have known earlier that the approach I was taking with myself is not going to get me far.
If you live in a part of the world where winter is just about to go away, then you are probably a bit cold yourself. The cold and rough months took a toll on you and you might be feeling a bit tired and exhausted. It’s perfectly normal, this winter was weird and a roller-coaster (at least in my country, but maybe it’s just me since I see climate change everywhere).
If you’ve been with me for a while, then you know that I have been super into yoga and meditation for the past 6 months, and I am feeling better than ever. Especially, since I doubled the amount of meditation I do in a day and the amount of time I put into practising yoga. When it comes to self care, I have been a very good girl.
I want to give you 7 self care ideas for the weekend so that you can unwind, relax and find your peace again. Some might take a bit more time to complete, others can be done in a matter of minutes, but I carefully choose 7 that I think are best for waking up our body and mind after the winter season.
- Cook something light and full of nutrients that will give you the energy to wake up properly from the winter sleeping. May I suggest this Vegan Southern-Style Collard Greens?
- De-clutter your wardrobe and create a simple capsule wardrobe. Or just get rid of things that don’t make you feel joyful when you are wearing them, don’t celebrate your body type, and that you secretly wish you’d have never bought them in the first place.
- Take an hour or two to listen to a podcast episode that won’t get you fired up or worried. I suggest giving a try to Food For Thought.
- Wear something with bright colors and flowery patterns. It’s going to put you in the spring mood and lighten up the day, which is probably still a bit cold in the mornings and colourless during the day.
- Detox your mind for at least 10 hours. Spend at least 10 hours away from your phone, television, radio, computer, books, music, or any kind of device (or item) that is going to add extra information in your head. Instead, spend time in nature or hang out with those that you truly love and feel inspired by. I wrote about my 12-day mind detox experience right here.
- Watch a chick flick and get those tissues ready. I am in love with watching romantic comedies that are the furthest thing away from being Oscar-worthy, so may I suggest watching Confessions of a Shopaholic or Killers? The first one has Hugh Dancy and the second one has Ashton Kutcher. Need I say more, ladies (and men)?
- My favourite routine is to sing out loud while folding the laundry. It’s a good time to listen to your favourite music or blast out songs that nearly half the population knows the lyrics to.
Here you go.
I hope you found any lovely self care ideas that you might use on the weekend.
And the most important thing that wasn’t on the list – love yourself even when you don’t want to. It’s so easy to turn your back on yourself and look away when you are feeling down, maybe you are even tired of that version of you so you pretend it doesn’t exist, but that’s when you need your attention the most.
We are all here for such a short time. Who knows how long do we have here? We only have one life, after that, lights out and we are no longer. Dreamless sleep forever. If that scares you, do not waste your days and be kind to yourself. Forget about trying to achieve things or changing the world, first and foremost, you need to take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Everything else will sort itself out.
So tell me, how do you plan on taking your self care routine to another level this weekend? What are your favourite tools to take care of yourself? What do you suggest all of us do? Which one of my self care ideas sounded the most pleasing? Let me know in the comment.
And if you have a second or two, make sure you follow me on Instagram.