Today I want us to look at one of the most powerful and inspiring characters we ever had on television.
I want us to look at Blair Waldorf from the TV show Gossip Girl. Yes, the original Queen B (bye Beyonce).
Ever since I can remember, I was in love with her and the way she managed to get everything done. She was a high achiever and completely and utterly committed to her dreams and vision. No one could take away her courage and passion for going after her goals.
I want you to take blogging seriously. I need you to be absolutely focused on becoming the best at it and not letting anyone crush your vision for where you want to be.
I believe looking at my favorite female character and someone I aspire to be like is going to help us become better bloggers, writers and influencers. I am positive that no one has re-watched all episodes of GG as many times as I have so I am sure I chose the right lessons.
Here are 8 lessons Blair Waldorf taught me about blogging:
- Have a very clear vision of who you want to become and what you want to achieve. Blair knew from the young age that she wanted to attend Yale, marry someone important and be a powerful woman. Her path might have gone off track for a while but she did end up marrying a billionaire and became a successful businesswoman that is an important figure in the fashion world. I have no doubt that this happened because she knew what she wanted and never, ever settled for anything less than she believed she deserved.
- Make sure that you always know what you are writing about. Blair was the best student of fashion, not because her mother was a designer, but because she was constantly learning about leaders in the industry and what happens backstage. She wasn’t just a smart and pretty socialite; she was helping behind the scenes and learnt about the fashion world through experience. That’s what made her the best choice to take over her mother’s company – she was the best at it and she knew more than anyone else.
- Create your own style and own it. Headbands and stylish skirts are Blair’s signature style, and while many may think she looks ridiculous, it is was what made her her. No one could pull off a headband like she did, and in turn, she couldn’t pull off sexy like Serena could. That’s because they had different styles that they both owned and shined in.
- Network with people all the time. That’s something Blair was excellent at; she could talk to anybody and find a way to impress them. Not to mention, she always learnt about people she was meeting ahead of time because there is nothing better than showing people that you care about who they are and what they do.
- Don’t worry if you don’t fit in right away. When Blair got into NYU and saw how little everyone cared about her, she really experienced for the first time how it feels to not fit in. But her mother helped her see that the Waldorf women don’t just belong everywhere and that it’s all going to be okay when eventually she does find a place she fits in.
- Live in the clouds and play pretend often. It’s no secret Blair loves classic movies and novels that help her have very vivid dreams and inspire her when she struggles in life. What if you did that, too? What if you too got lost in stories and places you’ve never visited just to bring them to life through your writing and how you create your blogging space? Every blogger knows how to be polished and look pretty, but few managed to create their own world that makes their readers feel special and wonderful.
- Believe in every single inch of your beautiful self and let that ego of yours shine through. Blair is the queen of confidence; just remember her famous line “I’m the best of the best. I’m Blair Waldorf.” That’s the key to creating content that is authentic and honest – that is the key to creating a blog that people love because there is nothing better than a confident writer that knows no one can write as they can. I know I am not the best writer and Tolstoy is turning in his grave when I make a thousand grammar mistakes, but I am damn sure that no one can make people feel understood as I can. Also, how many bloggers can talk about animal rights and necrophilia in the same sentence? I thought so – and I own every inch of weirdness my mind contains.
- If you have strong opinions, be confident in defending them. Blair knows what she believes in and how far she is willing to go to get what she wants. She believes some people are just better than others (her words), that shopping is the best remedy, and my favorite line of all “You can’t make people love you, but you can make them fear you.” She is a villain and she is mean and backstabbing and will go through corpses to get what she wants, but she will be the first one to admit it. No matter what your beliefs are, be confident when defending them and, as I said many times already, own who you are. I do that when I write about politics.
I truly hope you learnt something about blogging from Blair Waldorf today. She is the greatest thing to happen to female characters on television and I will defend her until the day I die.
I would love to know which tip you love the most so please do leave a comment below where we can chat about how inspiring and smart she is.
I love blogging and I am very passionate about helping you grow your viewers, as well as creating engagement and new content. I am still on a journey myself, I will always be duh, but I feel like I achieved something I can share with you.
After 5 years of writing, promoting and whoring myself on every platform there is I want to share how I still manage to find new ideas and most importantly, how the fuck have I not given up yet given that I am not making money with blogging.