Food is an important part of our lives, obviously, but food alone doesn’t make us healthy. A healthy lifestyle consists of many different things we do and today I want to talk about how to start making healthier changes in your life.
I want you to know that creating a healthy lifestyle is the most important thing you will ever do and tell you about how to start making the necessary changes in your life.
You need not only eat well but think and behave in a healthy way, too. A healthy lifestyle is a beautiful combination of everything that we do throughout our days.
Imagine how your life would look like if you would feel good in your body. If you would have relationships that make you joyful and if you would have the energy and motivation to do things that make you feel fulfilled and inspired.
That vision can be brought into reality but only after you put work into it and you face the reality. If you are not aware of where you are standing right now, how can you know where to go to end up where you want to be?
Let’s look at a few tips that will help you at creating a healthy lifestyle that works for you.
- You need to ask yourself what you want and what you require. It doesn’t matter what you hear from me; what matters is that you want to do what I recommend. Only do what resonates with you.
- You need to find the sweet spot in the middle of what makes you comfortable and what challenges you.
- Create a schedule on your own terms. If I recommend you do it every day but you know you won’t be able to do it, create a schedule that works for you. If, for example, you don’t feel like meditating for 20 minutes, just start with 5 or 3 minutes a day until you are able to expand your practice.
- Remember that changes won’t happen overnight or even in the first few weeks. You will start seeing the smoke but you won’t get to the fire of transformation until you are deep enough. You know what they say – if it would be easy, everyone would be doing it.
Sometimes we read a book or watch a video and the person says we should start doing a certain thing if we want the change. But our lives are different from theirs and although we should take their advice and know that if it worked for them it has high chances of working for us, we still need to work from our own selves.
Many books recommended me to schedule everything and create a daily to-do list, and I do have a to-do list that helps me, but I also know that having a tight schedule where I usually don’t end up completing daily tasks makes me anxious and makes me less motivated to do anything.
So I made it work for me. I schedule up to five things every day but I don’t keep the list with me. I see it twice a day and before I go to sleep I tore out a page and I am ready for the next day. If I complete two things or all five, I am OK because I am not attached to it.
It doesn’t make me anxious and I still get reminded of the things I want to accomplish every day. I got my little pink to-do notebook as a gift a few months ago but I usually use Evernote to write everything down. I am actively trying to go digital and leave paper behind.
Like I said earlier, food is just one part and although many people think of a clean diet when they think of a healthy lifestyle, what you eat is only a small part of your healthier self.
Let me ask you a few questions:
- Do you feel good after you’ve been working out for five days straight?
- Do you feel good when you hang out with people with whom you can have deep conversations with?
- Do you feel more at ease with changes in your life when you have a steady meditation practice in your life?
- Do you feel more loved when you are giving love to others?
That’s why you need to look at your relationships, your career, your body, your environment, your thoughts and your values.
- What is the ratio between people who you feel good with and people whose presence makes you feel icky? Here are a few tips on how to deal with unhealthy relationships.
- How do you like to move your body? If you need help, you can read my post on how to move your body in 15 minutes a day.
- Are you willing to try meditation? I wrote a resources post that will help you if you want to start a meditation practice.
- Can you dedicate at least 10 minutes a day to journaling about your current state of mind? I have more than 15 writing prompts available in my free eBook that you can grab here.
The friends you keep and the amount of time you dedicate to moving your body determines the quality of your life. Creating a healthy lifestyle takes work but it’s the best investment you will ever make. When you have your health you can make everything around you better as well.
It would mean a lot to me if you would grab my FREE eBook From Feeling Low to Living Green. I wrote it for those of you who are depressed and/or anxious and just want a damn change in your life. Trust me when I say that I put every single thing that helped me in life into that eBook and I included a ton of science to back up my claims. Get it here, it’s free.
Also, find me on Instagram where I share a ton of helpful tips and photos of nature and animals that I share my life with.